Pages

Friday, February 19, 2010

I've been thinking about getting older lately. I'm on the other side of 50 now and that's really weird to me. I don't feel it and most times I don't feel it, other than the fact that I'm in menopause. Fifty sounds so old, but I'm not any different than I was 10 years or 20 years ago. I haven't changed the way I dress or act to anything more conservative.  Although, I don't like non-stretchy clothing. I'm thin, but like comfort. 

Anyway...thinking of my youth brings me to this photo taken at a girlfriend's bridal shower in the late seventies. I only recently saw this picture. One of my high school friend tagged me in Facebook with it a few months back. It brought back a memory from the packed away part of my brain. Not that I purposely packed memories away, it just happens. The more I looked at the picture, the more the fog dissipated and I remembered.
...then I remembered those glasses. I bought them across the street from Marenello's School of Beauty where I was training to be a hair dresser in 1976. There was an optician office across the street and I sort of had a crush on the optician, so I had to buy some glasses and then I had to continue to go in to have them adjusted...again and again...  They had a rhinestone flower in the lower corner of the left lens too. Hey, don't laugh, they were very stylish back then.  Notice the Dorothy Hamill haircut? I was my brother's model for a haircutting class. He was a hairdresser at a very high end salon in California's San Fernando Valley; Jon Peters Salon. Said owner of said salon is now a movie director and the name changed to Alan Edwards.  Anyway...this was me at 18....with  my 70's amber glasses with the little rhinestone flower and my Dorothy Hamill haircut.  One thing I don't remember is that blouse. What was I thinking???

No comments: