Pages

Sunday, January 02, 2011

Week Four -- Training for the Shamrock Half Marathon

I remember back around 2002 when my supervisor and his wife were training for their first Marathon.  While we worked together, they did a couple and may still be.  I remember thinking that I would never consider running in a Marathon.  I'd run on and off since my twenties, but running never stuck, so the thought of a Marathon was beyond my comprehension.  The only thought in my head was, "WHY??"

Fast forward to me turning 50 in 2007.  I was a new bride and my husband was deployed.  I took up running to fill in time and to get fitter.  I was really into it for a few months, but then I just stopped.  I occasionally did a run/walk...trying to will myself to get my motivation back, but to no great end. Then a few co-workers were putting together a team for the Susan G Komen charity event.  They offer a 5K that you can either run for fun or timed. I signed up and raised a pretty good amount of money too.  Because I registered for an event, my motivation kicked in.  I searched the internet for something to help me accomplish my 5K goal.  It seems like so long ago when my goal was to run 3 miles.  I found Podrunner Interval training series. I started with First Day to 5K. This podcasts really helped me and it was so easy to improve.  I would recommend these to anyone starting to run.  I ran the timed 5K and was in the middle of the standings for women my age. It was a great time and I was so fun to be in a race!  I caught the bug and I signed up for the Shamrock 8K and trained for that with Podrunner's Gateway to 8K.  In August, I ran 2 10Ks (Run like a Girl and The Wicked) and used Freeway to 10K to train for those.  In September, I ran my first 1/2 Marathon (Rock n Roll Half Marathon).  I now use the Podrunner beats to run with, but also run to other music.  The training that I'm doing now is for both a half marathon (Shamrock Half)  and a 14K (Virginia is for Lovers) before that.

So, why am I sharing my running history?  Because, registering for running events is my motivation to run. I need to train to run longer distances and this is what keeps me running.  That and the fact that I want to improve my time.  I don't compete with the other runners...I compete with my own times.  Ok...ok...I do love how running has improved my outward appearance too. I've never had a weight issue, but menopause causes a change in the metabolism and I started to notice some...um...changes. I've read articles on this and how women in menopause have a difficult time keeping their weight in check. Running speeds up the metabolism and it really does help.  

With all that being shared...

This week's training was sparse. I only ran once during the week (35 minutes on the treadmill).  It was too icy outside to run and I so prefer outside running to the treadmill, so my motivation was low.  Don't get me wrong, I love having the treadmill, it's just harder to motivate myself to run on it. I can put it off to later also, where when running outside, I need to get out before it's dark.  Sometimes putting off a treadmill run leads to not running.

Today's J & A Racing Shamrock Training group run was 7 miles.  We ran the two miles to the park visiter's center then a mile and a half on the trails in the park then turned around and ran back. The trails were spotted with muddy patches where the snow melted.  There were pine needles and leaves that made for a nice layer over most of the mud. The faster runners came back with mud spattered legs. I was mud free, but did run it all (ok...I did walk once for about 30 seconds, but I'd just run uphill without noticing). All in all, the 7 miles felt great!  :-)  Next week is another 7 miles.  I'm to run two 3 mile runs and a 4 miler during the week.  I'm hoping for nice days to run in, but there is always the treadmill....

1 comment:

DeLunaLore said...

I think running on a treadmill would be a bummer compared to running in a marathon. But I guess the marathon would be motivation to run on the treadmill too.