Pages

Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Starting my journey...my hair...

I know that I have made this decision before and not stuck with it, but this time I am hoping to stick to it.  I am sick and tired of dying my hair.  I don't like how it feels and I can't stand how the color fades out and looks so brittle. I think I'm ready.

And so I start this journey.  Of course I can't just stop coloring my hair. I have to make it more interesting.  I've also been playing around with the no shampoo...or No Poo...idea that I've been reading about.  I'm on day 3 of only 'washing' with hot shower water.  My hair really feels nice.  It feels thicker already.  I have naturally curly hair that tends to be slightly frizzy and it's now not as frizzy.  It's not oily either.  I'm also training for a half marathon, so this No Poo will really be put to the test.  My plan is to journal this journey with words and pictures.

So, now it starts.  I have a little over 1/2 inch of root growth.  It's hard to tell, but I think my hair is about 25% gray....wait, I just looked with a mirror and wow...I didn't know that I had that much grey in the back too.  So, let's say somewhere between 10-40% depending on where you look.  It's really hard to tell, though, because I'm comparing it to the dyed hair.  I have been coloring my hair close to my natural, so that may help the transition some. 

My husband reminded me that I've made this decision before and ended up going back to dying my hair.  Maybe I wasn't ready then, but maybe I'm ready now.  I also had a hair dresser (that I don't go to anymore) try to help in my transition and my hair looks like it was dyed with black shoe polish.  I gave up going grey and began coloring it myself.

I was a hairdresser for 7 years in my 20s, but never had the opportunity to help a woman go grey.  

So...her I go...wish me luck...picture journal to come later....



No comments: